Thursday, October 16, 2008

Class MRC2.1

Classes will henceforth have codes and I've labelled the latest course at the Migrant Centre, MRC2. The .1 .2 will indicate the class in this series.

After a hiatus of almost 3 weeks it is nice to be taking a class again. Since this is the second time I am doing this, It was a little less daunting. Also, I was probably a little more pragmatic and a little less idealistic.

I had a total of 8 participants today. Madelina is back for her second round of classes. Mary too is back as she still feels she would like to spend more time learning. In some ways, it is definitely heartening to see people back.

I had a different activity sheet this time. I got into the material on the first day and we discussed the parts of a computer, the keyboard, the mouse and how to use these things. I had one sheet where I asked them to take notes. I am increasingly leaning towards the view that the students should be writing down things on their own rather than being fed instructions and information with little effort needed on their part to imbibe the provided information.

The class seems like an interesting mix of people and a couple of additional people came in and said they can't stay this week but will attend from next week onwards.

Although not strictly related to this class, I would like to mention that October/November are going to be very interesting and pivotal months in inherIT's development. Apart from the independent course I am running at Toongabbie, I will also be running a class with the Liberian women's group in Mt Druitt for 5 weeks. I hope these classes will provide much greater insight into the operational/functional challenges that will arise as well as helping to improve class content, delivery & follow up.

Class Hours: 2.0
Instructors: 1
Participants: 8 (Irma, Mary, Madelina, Surrya, Tarakegn Russom, Nahid, Nagwa)
F:M : 7:1
Course Handouts: 2 pp
Computers Used: 7

No comments: